HOLY CROSS LAY ASSOCIATES
A CALL TO BE WITNESSES OF THE PASCHAL JOY
(One with Jesus in his liberating mission and in his paschal mystery)
I. HOLY CROSS LAY-ASSOCIATES
Holy cross lay-associates are those who wish to be the companions (associates) of the sisters of the cross of Chavanod in their charism and mission and thus to be the witnesses of the paschal joy.
The charism of the sisters of the cross:
“Joyful participation in the merciful self-emptying love of Jesus dead and risen”.
Their mission: “To reveal to all people the merciful love of the father and the liberating power of the paschal mystery”.
1. We follow Jesus who, though he was god, did not demand and cling to his rights as god but emptied himself (laid aside his mighty power and glory ) became man, humble servant of god’s plan for the world and was obedient unto death on the cross for our salvation and was raised to the life of glory(cf. Phil 2:6-11)
2. Whatever be their state of life, the holy cross associates live this ‘call’ in their milieu as leaven, salt and light, transforming the society into a community of selfless love and brotherhood.
II. SIMPLE MEANS TO LIVE THIS CALL IN DAY TO DAY LIFE:
(1) To be faithful followers of Jesus in thought, word and deed. (Life of prayer, sacraments, Christ’s values and word of god etc.)
(2) To allot at least a few minutes daily to mediate on the life and mission of Jesus and especially on his self-emptying love for us in the paschal mystery.
(3) To do one’s own work in union with Jesus for the salvation of souls.
(4) To bear one’s sufferings and difficulties patiently in union with Jesus dead and risen, with the conviction that all things turn unto good to those who love god (Rom 8:28).
(5) To make effort to perform one’s professional duties (whatever it may be) as a life-giving service to people.
(6) To have selfless love/self-sacrificing love for all and even for one’s enemies.
(7) To bring about relief to the suffering humanity by using one’s expertise, abilities and opportunities.
(Physical, emotional and spiritual relief).
(8) To continue the liberating mission of Jesus and to hope for paschal joy.
(9) To encourage others to love Jesus, who emptied himself in order to give us life in abundance and to work for god’s kingdom of love, peace, justice and truth.
(10) To have a special devotion to Mary our mother at the foot of the cross, who is our model and patron.
Our main focus in all we do is, to reveal to all people god’s merciful love and the liberating power of the paschal mystery.
Let us remember that our life in the footsteps of Jesus with Him and in him is an instrument of salvation for all.
III. DIFFERENT STAGES OF THE MEMBERSHIP AS HOLY CROSS LAY-ASSOCIATES:
(1) Period of “come and see”- to make sure whether one is personally attracted towards the charism and mission of the sisters of the cross.
(2) In response to this call, making a formal promise to continue the mission of Jesus, with the selfless love for the salvation of the world. Thus to be witnesses of paschal joy.
IV. PROGRESSIVE INVOLVEMENT IN THE H.C.A. MOVEMENT:
(1) Personally making efforts to live joyfully the merciful selfless love in our families, neighbourhood and in our work places.
(2) In collaboration with other H.C.Associates, to render some solid systematic service, to bring the paschal joy to others, especially to the suffering humanity.
V. INORDER TO ENABLE THE MEMBERS TO ENTER INTO THE SPIRIT OF THIS CALL:
(1) Periodic meetings in small groups with the local coordinator.
Once/twice a year there will be general assembly / retreat.
(2) During the small group meetings, the members will share
how the given, word of god challenged them
the faith experience in their life and work
opportunities they had to help the suffering humanity
their inspirations and suggestions for the functioning of the H.C.A. movement.
(3) Participating in the family feasts of Holy Cross Congregation on 10th August (Mother Foundress – Day), 14th September (Feast of the Holy Cross).